Monday, March 27, 2017

springtime tbr

So I guess here I am with another tbr! I read half of the books on my winter one, but to be honest I'm too much of a mood reader to follow these things religiously anyway... 
But regardless, here's what I'm hoping to read for the springtime (moods permitting):


Currently Reading:

My mother picked up Good Omens for me for my birthday --and it's been pretty fun so far. I feel like if I was one of those people who had a basket of books in my bathroom for guests, this would definitely be in the selection, because it's quite enjoyable (although, let's be honest, I'm not going to be that person with the basket of books --no, I'm going to be that aunt with the leopard bra hanging on the back of the door for all the world to witness--these are my life aspirations).



Hoping to Read:


The first one I ordered this past weekend, and it's called The Good People. It's by the same author who wrote Burial Rites, which is the novel that broke me out of my depressive-two-year-no-reading spree. I'm really excited about this one, though! It takes place in Ireland I believe, and has some accusatory witchcraft in it, and I'm just really intrigued by it (I don't quite remember all the details of the synopsis). But I thoroughly enjoyed Hannah Kent's writing style, and I've recently discovered (er, more like realized), I really like Irish literature, or those that take place in Ireland, or anything with a touch of Irish to it. Who knew I'd love the Russians & Irish that much, I'm really just a content mess with my taste in books, haha.


The second one I'm hoping to get to is Sexing the Cherry by Jeanette Winterson. A girl on youtube I watch often (her name is Sophie C.) talks about J.W. a lot, and this was her top favorite book of 2016, I think. The summary seemed really interesting (and it had a cup of magical realism thrown in, too), and I found it on AbeBooks with such a pretty cover and such a pretty price that I couldn't not get it for my birthday month. And it's kind of on the short side (I forget how many pages), so it won't stress me out or intimidate me much.


The third is some Nabokov --the Luzhin Defense --, although I'm not entirely sure if I'll get to it this spring. Anything Russian-related seems to work up my anxiety, but hopefully I'll be able to push through it and enjoy it. I'll just have to breathe. (And the book's about chess, and it begins with a little boy becoming upset over the fact that he is old enough to be called Luzhin like his father --but that's his father's name and he is not his father so he couldn't be Luzhin and the boy puts up a fuss in his blankets on the train and oh I'm rambling but I liked the intro so much I don't know why I can't pick it up and read without stressing myself out).

And the fourth and final one (I think I'll work my tbr's in four's) might be one of the many books on my kindle. I have a habit of downloading the first pages of books just to take them for a test drive before I really commit, and I've got quite a collection going. So I might just choose one of the intros and take the leap. The possibilities include but are never limited to: The North Water by Ian McGuire, The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick, Gold Fame Citrus by Claire Vaye Watkins, or The Lake by Banana Yoshimoto, just to throw a few names out in the water.

Well there we have it, some ideas for the springtime; I've very recently come up with a writing project that I can hopefully start working on (Meggie even agreed to doing illustrations for it). So I think I should be pretty busy this season. c:
Well that's all for now!
Love, Lizzie. x

No comments:

Post a Comment