Saturday, July 20, 2013

Vintage book finds

On Thursday I took a little bus ride to the kitty cat bookshop, and I'm sure I talk about it enough on tumblr..but it's one of my most favorite places ever! They have so many books (used, vintage, antique, and collectible), and most of them are fairly priced! 



So this is my little collection of books since I've been visiting Timothy: Spreading Fires, by John Knowles (1974), an Oxford Russian Reader of Lev Tolstoy Selections (1959), 1984, by George Orwell (1961), Resurrection, by Lev Tolstoy (1961), and The Book Thief, by Markus Zusak (I didn't purchase this at the bookshop, I just brought it along with me during my visit; but this one I saved before my sister thought of throwing it away --which is a cardinal sin in my book).

But can we just look at the covers? Aren't they just beautiful? I love them. x




And this is my Russian reader, and I believe it is the most wonderful book purchase I've ever made (maybe even more wonderful than my 1945 illustrated copy of Crime and Punishment). But I'm so excited for this little book! On the bus ride home I opened it up, and found the scene where Anna Karenina steps off the train to see her husband, and mentally comments on his big ears. Oh I'm so happy! Even though there's still so much I can't understand.. it's at least a start!



And this one I bought for Timothy; he's been taking very good care of me, so I thought I'd buy him some books...but One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and A Clockwork Orange were way too expensive for used books, so I came home with only this one (he loved it anyway); but I felt guilty..I went to the bookshop to buy him some gifts, and I came home with more books for myself..I need to find another treat for him asap!

And now for my own personal shopping list for next time:
  1. Peter Pan, by J. M. Barrie
  2. Phineas, by John Knowles
  3. To the Lighthouse, by Virginia Woolf
  4. Oxford Book of Russian Verse
  5. A book of poetry by e. e. cummings

No comments:

Post a Comment