Saturday, May 20, 2017

Summers are for shorts (I think I've sobered up some since the last time I posted).

With the way my mental health and attention has been the past while, I've decided to focus on shorter reads, at least for the beginning of summer --just so I don't lose what I've tried so hard to get back to.

So for May and June, I'll be filling my head with short novels, books of poetry, graphic novels, etc. (I'm aiming for anything around 150 pages or less); & so here's a little tbr for you:

I finished one graphic novel yesterday/last night (it arrived in the mail, so I set down to read it right away). I had to force it down some though, so I don't think I enjoyed it as much as I could have --or else I simply liked the first volume more, I can't really tell. But the next volume of The Girl from the Other Side comes out on Halloween, so that's something to look forward to! (Also, with the walls, it's beginning to give me Attack on Titan vibes, only if you injected it with a child-like-fairytale-folklore-esque kind of vibe, and replaced the giants with black creatures & animal parts). I like the atmosphere a lot (a lot-a lot).

I'm currently reading a book of poetry on my kindle/phone --and it's easier to digest because 1. I can read it in small increments while I'm waiting at the bus stop and 2. poems are much easier to take in rather than lengthy chapters and whole pages and all that. But I also don't know if I should be reading Sunshine right now --I'm afraid it'll be a Bell Jar mistake where it clicks too much and sends me so far backwards --but at the same time, I feel like it's a way of getting it out --and if I don't read something like it, the feelings I've been having will only bottle themselves up, and that wouldn't do much good, either. It's a risk I've been enjoying so far, though. We'll see.

Next I've got Moonstone: the Boy who Never Was by Sjón, and I'm hoping I'll be able to conquer it. It's only 144 pages, and not all of the pages even have words on them (chapters always start on the right side, and the left is usually blank). And even with that, there's not a lot of text on the pages in general, anyway --there's plenty of spaces and enters so I'm not too stressed about it. Hopefully I won't hype it up too much for myself (it takes place in Iceland in 1918 or around there); it also begins with a "boy" (I don't know if this means teenager? Younger? Older?) servicing an older gentleman, so I'm not sure what to expect out of this? But the premise seems interesting and unlike what I've ever read before (it's about cinema coming to Iceland, where a "boy" must decide whether to use it as a means of escapism, as he is rejected for his homosexuality --or if he wants to face and participate in the world --there's also a volcano erupting at the same time, so it should be a fascinating read, I hope) --and this is where I'm afraid I'm looking forward to it too much.

I don't want to list any more possibilities (I just picked up a bunch of short novels this month and April), because I don't need myself to feel too overwhelmed or stressed about it. And I think things that come in three's are quite very nice, anyways.

Well that's it for now! Much love, love love love,
Lizzie. x

(p.s. I just noticed the color scheme for this tbr is pinks, blacks, and whites, and I am one hundred percent okay with that. c: )

No comments:

Post a Comment